As we age, our bodies start giving out. In order to adjust to the weakening muscles and joints, we need extra cushioning and support. When a mattress is new, it provides all the comfort in the world, irrespective of our age. But as time passes by, say 8-10 years down the line, you’ll start to notice aches and pains more if you’re a senior citizen. The reason why, while looking for the best mattress for senior citizens in India, go for a high-quality, technologically advanced mattress. Not just for a good night sleep but also for your overall health.
Elders also need an average of 7-9 hours of sleep per night. Unfortunately, they are not able to get that since 50% of seniors suffer from insomnia. This causes a ripple effect, as lack of sleep can further lead to memory loss, irritability, depression and can also amplify chronic pain and arthritis symptoms. So, it’s important to look for the best mattresses for senior citizens in 2021.
Picking the right mattress is crucial for a comfortable sleeping environment and helps in getting uninterrupted sleep. The right material helps in considerably relieving pressure points, including the hips, shoulders, knees and head. Since mattresses also affect the temperature of the person, and the elderly audience is especially sensitive to fluctuating temperatures, breathable materials would solve this problem by regulating temperature and prevent overheating.
For the people who share their bed with others, lack of motion isolation and noise can prevent them from getting a much-desired undisturbed sleep. In other words, buying a high-quality mattress isn’t just another random purchase. It’s an ‘investment’!
Things to consider while buying the best mattress for senior citizens in 2021
Since the requirements are specific, you have to be careful when you want to buy a mattress for the elderly online, as they might suffer from chronic pain, inflammation, and arthritis. There are many factors to be taken into account:
- Support: How well does the mattress help in keeping the spine aligned? Your mattress should be flat and even and should avoid sagging or deep indentations when looking to buy a double-bed mattress for the elderly online. Good support especially helps in relieving aches and pains for people with back pain or arthritis.
- Contouring: the quality and the extent of cushioning the mattress provides at pressure points will be determined by how closely the mattress conforms to the shape of your body.
- Firmness: Firmness is very subjective, and the extent of it (softness and comfort) depends on various factors, such as body weight and sleep preferences. Seniors, who sleep on their side and weigh less, prefer soft mattresses as they provide proper cushioning to the shoulders and hips (pressure points). For people with an average weight and who sleep on their back or side, medium-firm mattresses are the most apt ones. Firm mattresses are suited best for people that are heavy and who sleep on their stomach. However, this isn’t an exact science, and individual needs may vary.
- Motion Isolation: This is vital for the ones who share their bed with someone else. Because the individual’s sleep can be hampered by the movement of the other person or when they get in and out, so, it’s a no-brainer to specifically opt for a mattress that provides motion isolation.
- Temperature Regulation: as discussed earlier, if fluctuating temperatures disturb your sleep, a mattress with temperature regulation is your best bet. Unfortunately, traditional mattresses, such as the memory foam ones, lack this.
- Edge Support: This is another crucial detail, especially for senior citizens. If your bed lacks edge support, its perimeter is prone to sagging. A mattress with a reinforced perimeter provides better edge support, making it easier for the elderly to get in and out of bed.
- Noise: A mattress that creaks and makes any kind of noise while moving around is bound to disturb the sleep of light sleepers, especially elderly people. Hence, the material should be such that it cancels out such kinds of sound.
Is there a mattress that meets these requirements?
The Sleep Company, most widely known for its first-ever SmartGRID mattress, provides the ultimate comfort you desire. It’s adaptive to any body type or size and provides support and comfort to every inch of the body, making it the best mattress for seniors with back pain. SmartGRID also helps in relieving stress at body parts like hips, shoulders to reduce body pains.
SmartGRID mattresses, such as SMART Luxe and SMART Ortho, do not comprise memory foam and thus, provide 2500 air channels for air circulation to keep you cool. The intelligently designed mattresses are soft at hips and shoulders and firm at the back. This also keeps sagging to a minimum.
Asia’s first-ever SmartGRID mattress thrives on a technology that aims to bring the benefits of a good night’s sleep to all, especially senior citizens. The Sleep Company comes with many benefits that can make your purchase a sleep-worthy expense.
Seniors experience a range of problems while sleeping, including mental and physical issues. Hence their problem needs a well-thought over investment. For some, the anxiety of growing older itself can cause the inability to sleep, while others might be having chronic pain, inflammation, and various other medical conditions that hamper sleep every night. Elderly people are also prone to restless leg syndrome and sleep apnoea. Switching to mattresses such as SMART Luxe and SMART Ortho by The Sleep Company can single-handedly make a difference.
These state-of-the-art mattresses relieve aches and pains by providing ample support as well as a contour as per the shape of your body. SMART Ortho is especially for those who want to buy an orthopedic mattress for senior citizens online. They provide ample cushion at pressure points and regulate temperature thanks to the innovative material. Getting a mattress from The Sleep Company would be a wise decision.