What’s worse than waking up to an announcement of a pandemic? Not being able to sleep during it and the increased stress and anxiety at that time.
You spend almost a third of your lives sleeping, and sleep is supposed to be good for your health and productivity. But, at the same time, sleep disorders put you at risk.
With the COVID-19 lockdown being announced, most working folks have been forced into working from home. It’s during this time that people have noticed a change in their sleep pattern and the quality of sleep they get each night.
In times like this, it’s very important to have good sleep. It helps in maintaining a positive mood, productivity and stamina. It also supports your overall ability to work through the new normal.
Here are some tips on overcoming these sleep problems. From sleeping on the best mattress online to maintaining a set sleep routine, we’ve got it all.
- Set a proper routine for yourself : Setting a routine is crucial for getting a good night’s rest. A healthy sleep cycle is all you need. You should aim for 8 to 9 hours of sleep every night. A routine isn’t just good for your sleep cycle, but also helpful in maintaining a healthy mind. Maintaining a proper sleep schedule, even on weekends, helps in keeping your body clock on track. Thus, helping you wake up and go to sleep easily at the right time. Experts say that it’s a lot more effective if you make your own sleep schedule as you know your sleep patterns better than anyone. They add that having a proper pre-sleep routine can help you sleep better. This can include reading before sleeping, listening to calming music, etc.
- Reserve your bed for sleep : According to experts, having your mind associate bed with sleep is crucial. And this is why they advise that sleep is the only activity that takes place in bed. If you start spending more time working while seated in bed, your mind automatically starts to relate bed with sleep. This poses a problem as now, even if you try to go to bed early or for a nap, your mind will not be at rest and will constantly be thinking about work and your tasks that have to be completed. So, while working from home, ensure that you head to bed only when you want to relax or rest. Avoid working with your laptop on the bed.
- Sleep on a good mattress : Getting the right kind of sleep is important to be productive during the day. It’s advised to sleep at least 8 to 9 hours every night. One of the best ways to sleep better is by sleeping on a good and comfortable mattress, the SmartGRID mattress being one of the top choices. Scientifically designed, the SmartGRID technology of these mattresses give your back the perfect support. Each layer aligns your spine at the right points and is knitted with super-soft fabric for the ultimate comfort. It is considered one of the best mattress for sleeping in India. Additionally, for those who face a lot of backache and spinal issues, the SmartGRID mattress is the most comfortable orthopedic mattress in India.
- Step into the sun : Staying indoors is surely keeping you safe from the pandemic, but it may be messing with your sleep cycle. One of the best ways to get the cycle back on track, according to experts, is to step into the sun for a while. The main reason for this is melatonin. Melatonin helps in regulating your sleep pattern. Your eyes need to be exposed to the sunlight to produce this hormone. It is advised to do regular exercises standing on your balcony in order to make it a habit thus ensuring that you wake up and sleep at the right time.
- Bid adieu to stress : It is natural to experience higher levels of stress at this time. But one mustn’t let it affect productivity and sleep. The calmer your mind stays, the peaceful your sleep will be. One of the best ways to calm your mind is through yoga and meditation. Making it a daily routine doesn’t just help you stay calm, but also healthy. Additionally, you can also pick up hobbies and activities that help in keeping stress at bay.
- Avoid alcohol : You may have a little more time to kick back and enjoy your favourite series and movies, it is important to ensure that you aren’t turning to your favourite alcohol bottle. According to sleep experts, consuming alcohol before going to bed does nothing but damage the structure and quality of your sleep. If you do drink, it must be at the time you’d normally drink when you weren’t working from home. And the quantity should be the same too.
- Keep your gadgets away : You may find yourselves spending a lot more time on your gadgets, which causes sleep deprivation. The screen time during the pandemic has resulted in a spike in the levels of insomnia in the country. Aside from the radiations, these electronics can provide a false sense of reality and thus affect your sleep pattern and schedule. You may get hooked to a video game or end up scrolling on social media for hours, compromising on your sleep. It is advisable to keep your gadgets away from your bed when you go to sleep. This helps you stay away from your electronics, resulting in you sleeping like a baby.
Sleep deficiency is linked to increased risk of heart disease, kidney disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and stroke. With good sleep you can lower the risk of such diseases. Good sleep also aids in weight loss and keeping stress at bay. Follow these basic tips to overcome your sleep problems. And if none of them help you, speak to a professional. Speaking to your general practitioner is surely going to help you through this. And the last, but not the least, stay home and stay safe!
Get peaceful sleep on one of the best online mattress in India – SmartGRID mattress by The Sleep Company. Visit www.https://www.thesleepcompany.in today!